Come to this 9-day residential training designed as an immersion experience in Non-Violent Communication (NVC). This NVC training will focus on the theme of Power and Privilege.
This event is a 9-day residential training designed as an “immersion experience” in Nonviolent Communication (NVC), for people at all levels of NVC understanding, led by a team of experienced NVC trainers. This intensive event will follow the same standard as an International Intensive training (IIT) curriculum and will have a special focus on the theme of Power and Privilege.
This France NVC Intensive 2019 event is organized by a team of French NVC certification candidates. This event is supported and will be recognized, by the francophone association A-CERTIF, as valid for the intensive training that is recommended for NVC certification. To date, it is not officially supported by the CNVC (discussions are still ongoing).
To bring together the values of NVC and social justice work to support individuals in facing realities of the world we live in.
To support the movement towards this vision by offering an intensive NVC training that focuses on the following questions:
- How does the lens of Power and Privilege combine with the deep practices of NVC to create relationships with self, other, and the world?
- What does social justice work look like when putting needs at the center?
We define Power as the capacity to mobilize resources to attend to need.
The dictionary definition of Privilege is “a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.” We also rely on Stephanie Wildmans’ definition of Privilege as “the systemic conferral of benefit and advantage. Members of a privileged group gain this status by affiliation, conscious or not and chosen or not, to the dominant side of a power system.”
We define Social Justice as a concept of fair and just relations between the individual and the society
This France NVC Intensive 2019 will be the second experiment in doing this integration. As such, we anticipate learning and co-creating together. Several things are likely to be core and central to this learning and co-creating process:
- participants experiences,
- participants insights,
- whatever prior exposure to NVC and/or to social justice work participants have.
Prior exposure to NVC or to social justice work are not, in any way, an expectation or condition for attending. We anticipate having a rich mix of:
- Social justice folks with no experience in NVC, who want to hear if this lens could transform their work,
- NVC folks genuinely curious and open to learn about the frameworks that power and privilege offer,
- Others without experience in either aspect of what we are exploring in this NVC Intensive.
We plan to explore, within the training, the possibilities to:
- Create the conditions to encourage meaningful exchanges between individuals, while considering some challenges such as:
- Our own experience being potentially radically different from the experiences of others,
- Succeeding in welcoming each other’s needs,
- Facing impacts of different skins color, origins, nationalities, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Support people in engaging with their bodies to learn about and free themselves from the effects of trauma linked to power differences.
- Facilitate significant learning of NVC principles and practices.
- Facilitate greater capacity in approaching the daunting task of learning about, mourning, and working to transform the existing power structures in the world.
We plan to explore, beyond the training, the possibilities to
- Create a community of people committed to carrying forward the work of integrating NVC with social justice practice.
- Offer the fruits of our work together to the larger NVC community in the form of a revised NVC curriculum more accessible to people in marginalized groups; materials for NVC trainers and candidates to engage with and learn from; and proposals for how to attend to power differences within the NVC community.
For more information about “Access, Inclusion and Equity in the NVC Network”, please refer to this document.
Registration and payment for the France NVC Intensive 2019 training are now open.